Instructions for Use of BabyBIG®
Read all the instructions before BabyBIG® arrives at your institution.
Do not reconstitute BabyBIG® until instructed by physician. Infusion must begin within 2 hours of reconstitution.
- Please note the current dosage is 50 mg/kg -
** Please review and follow all instructions in the FDA-approved package insert **
- BabyBIG® should be given as soon after arrival at the pharmacy as can be arranged.
- Please plan in advance of its arrival with the patient's ICU/ward team so as to be ready to promptly rehydrate and administer the medicine when it reaches you. This means having a secure IV placed and a syringe infusion pump already at the bedside.
- Immediately notify the attending physician/patient care team when BabyBIG® arrives. Confirm with them that they are ready to administer the medicine, then begin its rehydration. Infusion must begin within 2 hours of reconstitution.
- As soon as rehydration is complete (usually about 30 minutes), deliver the medicine to the patient's bedside for administration.
- FOLLOWING INFUSION:
Please return residual BabyBIG® if > 0.5 mL to the pharmacy in the original vial. Please refrigerate this vial immediately after infusion and return it to our program by overnight courier on cold packs.
California Department of Public Health
Specimen Receiving, Room B106
Attn: IBTPP - Infant Botulism Laboratory
850 Marina Bay Parkway
Richmond, CA 94804-6403